Brisbane is the capital city of Queensland with a population of over 2 million, and has the third largest population in Australia. Known as Australia’s New World City, it is very multicultural with just over 20% of residents born outside of Australia. It also is one of the fastest growing cities in the country with a strong economy and future job prospects. Students will also be able to meet people from all over the world, not just the locals.
Brisbane has one of the lowest costs of living in Australia and is an affordable place for quality education in a safe and friendly city with an easy to navigate public transportation system. Brisbane has many outdoor activities to enjoy, including bike paths, active lifestyle parks and great cuisine. Brisbane is also the capital of the sunshine state and has more sunny days than any other Australian capital city.
Brisbane is also the gateway to Australia’s playground – the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coasts, which are both about an hour’s drive away. Enjoy tropical rainforests, bushwalks in a sub-tropical climate and a relaxing and leisurely atmosphere.
Things to Do in Brisbane
Some of the main attractions of Brisbane include:
- Southbank Parklands – a family-friendly parklands with extensive riverside bike and walking paths, a man-made inner city beach, beautiful gardens, and a large range of restuarants, shopping and entertainment precincts.
- River cruises – allow you to view the city from the river. There are a variety of different cruises from which to choose.
- Mt. Coot-tha lookout – provides an incredible panoramic view of Brisbane City.
- Riverlife Adventure Centre – visitors can kayak or stand up paddle board down the Brisbane River, abseil or rock climb the Kangaroo Point Cliffs, hire a bike or rollerblades, and much more.
- Fortitude Valley – dedicated entertainment precinct where you can go to listen to live music from great performers and bands.
- Story Bridge Adventure Climb – one of only three bridge climbs in the world, the Story Bridge Adventure Climb runs at any time of day: dawn, day, twilight, and night.
- Australia Zoo & Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary – see and learn about Australia’s wildlife, have your photo taken with a koala, and feed a kangaroo.
Enjoy the great outdoors in Australia – see what some of our students get up to in their spare time!